People probably wonder what it is I do all day. I do the bed rest boogie. This involves A) not driving myself crazy with boredom, B) not driving others crazy with my boredom and C) keeping blood pressure stable around 120/70.
Typically my day of doing nothing begins around 7:30 - 8am. Must get up bright and early to do nothing! Why am I not sleeping in? More so, the question should be why am I not sleeping at all? I can't. Just doesn't happen anymore. I lost sleeping priveledges forever about 3 weeks ago. Instead I lie awake for hours on end, with at least half a dozen "things" running through my mind... health insurance, car seat installation, failed inductions, chicken recipes, if I will ever have time or money for a pedicure again, the price of rice in China...
And then I have to pee. Fine, but this involves getting up, which involves throwing a hip or shoulder out of place. And getting back into bed is nothing short of an art form. I have my regular head pillow, a body pillow, 2 feathered pillows, a snorting Boston Terrier and sweet husband who, God bless him, is in deep, luxurious sleep. Getting these objects to work in my favor takes time and patience. Once I've accomplished these thing I have to pee all over again. Awesome.
But back to my day. So I get up early and contemplate what to do. Ask the animals what they want to do. They want to eat, play, sleep. Good then, we are on the same page. I make some breakfast, surf the net, check on my amigos, see what's happening on the pregnancy forum, maybe throw on A Baby Story or the Price is Right, make some important phone calls, pay bills, figure out something to make for dinner, sort laundry, make the bed, clean the kitchen, read a book, reorganize the nursery, sterilize bottles, go to my OB appointment, which is twice a week. According to the doc I'm supposed to be clocking in 2 hours on my side in the morning and afternoon. I guess this helps keep things circulating in the right direction and my heart healthy. So I try my best and follow those orders, but it doesn't always happen. Rest is not the same relaxing activity when it is forced upon.
I only drive back and forth to the doctor. Last week I bent the rules slightly and made an emergency trip to Target. By the time I got home I was having contractions. Busted. So I just plant my butt home. My fuel light came on today. That's the first we've seen of eachother in 4.5 weeks. At least I'm saving some cash.
Do I miss work? Sometimes. Sort of. I don't miss having to be on any sort of schedule, and I sure as hell do not miss the commute from one county to the next, but I miss the interaction. I miss having a story to tell at the end of the day. Come next Friday though that will all change. I'll be so consumed by this little person, I'll barely remember what life was like before her.
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
The Bed Rest Boogie
Posted by Marisa at 12:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment