6:45 am - check in for paperwork and room assignment.
8:15 am - IV started. Nurse was digging around in my left wrist and could not find a strong vein. I just kept smiling and saying it was okay, but I wanted to scream. She ended up having more luck over on my right wrist. Pitocin was started and a minute later doc came and broke my water. Didn't hurt at all, but it sure was gross.
1:00 pm - By now I had forgotten how many times they turned up the pitocin, but they were doing it in 15 to 30 minute intervals. In the beginning the contractions felt like strong menstrual cramps, but by early afternoon, they evolved into something more sinister, strong and stacked one on top of the other, beginning to make me cry a little. I was over 4cm. I asked for the epidural.
Ugh, the epidural. While it provided instant relief, I didn't enjoy the process of getting it done. The dose of lydocaine they injected STUNG. And then he explained I would feel a cramp in my lower back and a funny bone feeling up my spine as he inserted the catheter. I could feel him working back there. Call me a wimp but the whole process had me on edge and I could not wait for it to be over.
Almost instantly the contractions disappeared. But then my feet started itching, then my chest. The nurses explained this was a common side effect. Still, it was better than feeling pain. I'll get back to the epi later. It still had one final surprise in store for me toward the end.
5:00 pm - I told Pete to page the nurse. I started feeling intense pressure down below coupled with a strange stretching sensation. She checked and said it was because I was fully dilated - 10 cm! Pete and I looked at each other and cried. Finally the long wait was over. We were going to meet our baby girl.
6:15 pm - My doctor was tied up in a Cesarean birth so I had to wait over an hour to push. So sick of waiting! I couldn't imagine walking out of surgery and into our situation though. No wonder they get paid the big bucks. Our L&D nurse walked us through the art of pushing.
By now I could feel the contractions rushing at me without having to look at the monitor. So with each I had to take a deep breath, push and bear down for a count of ten and then repeat twice for a total of 3 times, then do all over again 2 minutes later. Again and again and again, such a work out. Pete had one leg and the nurse had another. Pete was so great. I don't know how I would've gotten through without him. In between contractions he wiped my forehead and fed me ice chips. He even grunted with me through a lot of them. We kept our sense of humor. At one point our nurse's cell phone rang - I'm not even kidding the ringtone was PUSH IT. We all were laughing so hard I missed the next contraction entirely, but it was nice for the break.
Something also popped somewhere inside me. Not sure what it was, but it was loud and clear and made the nurses pull back. They said they had never heard that before during a delivery. I just kept thinking oh great! We'll deal with that later.
8:15 pm - No baby yet. We were told the little missy was having a hard time clearing my pubic bone. I could see her head crowning, but they just couldn't get her out. I could sense the doctors and nurses getting concerned. People were entering and leaving the room. I heard someone mumbling about shoulder dystocia. And I was exhausted. My contractions were a minute or less apart, coming on so fierce. I could feel a lot more of it than I wanted to. The epidural catheter had shifted in my spine and was redirecting all of my pain to the base of my neck. It must have reconnected with a different nerve. Suddenly with every movement I could feel pain shoot down my neck, across my shoulders and down my arms. It made me cry. The nurses confirmed it was the epidural. I guess sometimes this happens...?
8:37 pm - During my final push, my L&D nurse climbed up over the bed on her knees and began to force her weight into my pubic bone. My doctor was also yelling at me YOU NEED TO PUSH AS HARD AS YOU CAN RIGHT NOW!!! I was terrified. I had never seen it this way on A Baby Story before.
And then just like that, there she was. For a second I saw the doctor hold Mia up, and my God she was limp. Her head rolled to the side and her arms and legs just dangled. She wasn't breathing. The cord was wrapped around her neck. The doctor cut the cord and then suddenly they were working on her in the corner, trying to pump air into her lungs and saying COME ON LITTLE GIRL! Another nurse was on a walkie talkie demanding for NICU. I was so scared. I thought she was dead.
She started to make little noises and cry softly. I have never heard such a beautiful thing in my life. She was going to be okay. They swaddled her up and handed her to me for a brief moment. We were allowed to take a few pictures and then she was taken away up to the nursery for further review. It would be 2 hours before I would see her again, so I was a mess. But all that mattered is that she was and is okay. 7lbs, 15oz and 21"L.
After the epidural completely wore off I realized I was in a lot of pain. Ends up I completely separated the cartilage in my pubic symphysis, bruised my tailbone pretty badly and got 2 first degree tears, one internally and one on top bilaterally. I also have a severe case of edema now from all the IV fluids. But you know, I can't complain because it could have been much worse. I am finally starting to walk on my own today. I've seen a physical therapist twice. I should be 100% better within just a few weeks.
Today is day 2 of being home and she is doing so well, so cute! Absolutely beautiful. Other than a mild case of jaundice and acid reflux, she is perfectly healthy. We are completely enamored with this special little girl. So far she only cries when she is hungry or wants to be held. And we are already adapting somewhat to a routine. The three of us and all the pets are really enjoying being a family.
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Birth Story
Posted by Marisa at 1:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
WOW! What a story. Makes my complaing about my c-section silly. I am glad you are all doing great :) SHe is beautiful!
Post a Comment